Democrat Indiana Mayor Dennis Tyler arrested by FBI in City Hall Corruption Probe

As reported by Fox59

FBI agents arrested Muncie Mayor Dennis Tyler at his home Monday morning on a federal corruption charge.

Tyler’s indictment document shows he faces one count of theft of government funds. He’s accused of accepting $5,000 from Tracy Barton, the former superintendent of Sewer Maintenance and Engineering for the Muncie Sanitary district, for using his influence for the purpose of awarding contracts. The business that ended up getting the contract wasn’t named.

If convicted, he could face 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

Tyler, 76, had his initial court appearance Monday afternoon. He was released on undisclosed conditions until the next hearing in two weeks. An automatic not guilty plea was entered.

U.S. Attorney Josh Minkler said during a press conference Monday that this indictment covers one charge, but the investigation is ongoing.

You Might Like

The mayor announced earlier this year that he didn’t plan to seek reelection. Minkler said Tyler indicated in court he plans to remain as mayor until the end of his term, despite the charges against him.

“Public officials are entrusted to perform a public service and to legitimately conduct business in the best interest of the community that they represent,” said Minkler. “Tyler not only betrayed the trust of his community, but violated federal law, and all in an effort to serve his own personal interests. My office intends to prosecute Tyler to the full extent of the law.”

The Tyler administration has been under scrutiny for years now as investigators conduct a federal corruption probe.

Muncie’s city administration first drew the attention of federal investigators in 2016, when questions arose about demolition contracts that the city had been awarding.

In 2017, federal agents executed search warrants at City Hall in connection with Craig Nichols, the former building commissioner who owned a pair of contracting companies at the center of the federal investigation. Nichols was accused of getting city contracts without a competitive bidding process; he was initially charged with 30 counts of wire fraud and money laundering. He eventually pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 2 years in federal prison.