BREAKING: Illegal Immigrant Arrested in Connection with Murder of His 24 Year Old Ex-Girlfriend

As reported by DailyMail

Police have arrested the ex-boyfriend of the 24-year-old woman whose murdered body was found stuffed in a suitcase on the side of a quiet Connecticut road, with her hands and feet bound.

Cops arrested Javier de Silva, of Queens, on Monday night, a week after the grisly murder of 24-year-old Valerie Reyes.

On Tuesday Greenwich Police Capt. Robert Berry released a statement saying a suspect ‘believed to be involved’ in her death has been arrested and later identified him as de Silva during a press conference.

Authorities were led to de Silva when he fraudulently used Reyes’ ATM card to withdraw money from a machine.

You Might Like

Reyes had reportedly dumped her boyfriend de Silva a week before she went missing.

De Silva is a Venezuelan citizen and is reportedly in the country illegally as he overstayed his visa, according to CBS. 

A source told the news outlet that Reyes was ‘killed at her residence’ and the ex-boyfriend allegedly confessed to the murder to investigators.  

Police arrested Javier de Silva, of Queens, New York, on Tuesday. He’s the ex-boyfriend of Valerie Reyes, the 24-year-old New York woman whose murdered body was found stuffed in a red suitcase and left on an isolated Connecticut road

The Greenwich Police Department shared this statement on Tuesday on the arrest

The arrest followed the police investigation of multiple crime scenes, reviewing hundreds of hours of surveillance footage, and interviews multiple potential witnesses, the Greenwich Police Department said in a press release on Tuesday.

‘New Rochelle Police Detectives accompanied by Greenwich Police Detectives, arrested a suspect in New York who had fraudulently used the ATM card of homicide victim Valerie Reyes.

‘The arrested individual is also believed to be involved in the death of Valerie.

‘We are confident that the pursuit of justice for Valerie will be successful and we continue to work with the family to provide closure to this tragedy,’ the police statement said.

In a press conference on Tuesday Greenwich Police said that de Silva confessed to playing a role in the murder when he was questioned following his arrest.

He was described as being cooperative during his interview.

The investigation into Reyes’ death is ongoing as Capt. Berry said ‘there’s a lot of loose ends that need to be tied up’ during the conference.

De Silva was arrested in New York and the U.S. Attorney’s office in Manhattan will reportedly handle the prosecution of the crime.  

Reyes was reported missing after she failed to show up to work on January 29 in New Rochelle, New York and her body was found on February 5 stuffed in a red suitcase.

Reyes had reportedly dumped her boyfriend de Silva a week before she went missing

The reddish-orange suitcase containing Reyes’ body was discovered by highway workers in Greenwich around 8.15am Tuesday, one week after the 24-year-old was last seen on January 29

During a press conference Tuesday Greenwich Police Capt. Robert Berry said authorities arrested de Silva for fraudulently using Reyes’ ATM card and during questioning he admitted to a role in her death

The suitcase had been dumped in a wooded area (above) about 15 feet from Glenville Road

The victim predicted her killing, telling her mother on the phone that she feared she’d be killed on January 28, a day before she disappeared.

‘She was very scared, very frightened,’ Sanchez told The Journal News.

‘She didn’t mention anything or no one specific. She just said, ‘I’m scared. I’m paranoid, mommy. I’m getting anxiety attacks, She was having a hard time talking.’

Sanchez says she desperately tried to pry for more information, but her daughter refused to specify why she felt that way.

Reyes, a Barnes & Noble store clerk, had broken up with her boyfriend five days earlier, according to Sanchez.

‘I asked her why do you feel this way? Was there someone at your house?’ Reyes’ mother said.

She asked about her daughter’s ex-boyfriend but still Reyes told her mother ‘no, it wasn’t him’.

Reyes did however reveal that she didn’t feel safe alone in her apartment, and expressed her concern at the murders of young women in the state.