In an early-morning tweet on Saturday, President Trump announced that he will be releasing thousands of previously classified documents about the 1963 assassination of President Kennedy.
Subject to the receipt of further information, I will be allowing, as President, the long blocked and classified JFK FILES to be opened.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 21, 2017
The president has ordered the National Archives to release the thousands of never-before seen documents by October the 26th.
“The President believes that these documents should be made available in the interests of full transparency,” said a White House spokesperson.
It is estimated that the released information will contain around 3,000 documents that have never been released, and 30,000 that have been released previously, but were heavily redacted.
History buffs and amateur detectives are speculating what new facts will come to light with the release, and are hoping for some insight into Lee Harvey Oswald’s motives for the killing.
Larry Sabato, author of a Kennedy-themed book, said “this is the correct decision,” adding that the “JFK files have been hidden too long.”